Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Servings: 5 servings
Author: Chef John from Website: AllRecipes.com
“I always smile when I hear chefs say you should never cover-up or overpower the natural flavors of the main ingredient. Sometimes you should, and this Merguez sausage and goat cheese stuffed summer squash recipe is a perfect example.”
- 2-teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4-ounces Merguez sausage, casing removed
[Editor’s note: Merguez, a North African sausage, could be made with this recipe https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/08/homemade-merguez-sausage-recipe.html using O-C Grown Diamond¨P Ranch ground beef, or one of the other meat vendors at the Osceola Farm Market, where you can support local farmers.]
- ½-cup diced red bell pepper
- 2-ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled [Editor’s note: Great way to use OC-Grown JoLee Soap Company’s fresh goat cheese. My daughter is allergic to store-bought goat cheese, but their fresh varieties do not cause her to have a reaction.]
- 5-small round summer squashes, halved
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-tablespoon dry bread crumbs, or more as needed
- 2-teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil
[or parchment paper] and lightly coat it with 1-teaspoon olive oil.
- Heat 1-teaspoon olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Stir in sausage and red bell pepper. Cook, stirring to break up sausage into small pieces, until sausage is browned and bell pepper is soft and sweet, 7 to 8 minutes. Drain off any fat.
- Stir goat cheese and sausage mixture in a bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Hollow out a ¾-inch deep well in the center of each squash half. Place each piece on the prepared baking sheet, cut-side up. Season with salt and black pepper; fill each with
1 to 2-tablespoons cheese and sausage mixture. Top each squash with breadcrumbs and lightly drizzle with remaining 2-teaspoons olive oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until filling is golden and squash is tender, about 30 minutes.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2018 Allrecipes.com
Printed From Allrecipes.com 4/15/2018