Coming up with ideas to use up an abundance of lettuce before it goes bad is something that goes hand in hand with being a CSA shareholder. Here are some ideas you may not have thought of. If you have a great recipe for any others, please share it. In the meantime, here are a few to get you through the season. The greens have to be perfectly crisp and fresh for a salad, storing them properly is very important. Using a paper towel or dry cloth to wrap them, or even puffing a little CO2 into the plastic bag to keep them fresh can help them keep a little longer, but there are still so many good greens, we have to be creative in their use.
- Making a lettuce soup is quick and easy using any of the lighter colored greens. It can be served hot or cold. This recipe was made using arugula and potatoes.
- Lettuce wraps are another wonderful way to utilized those greens without serving up another salad. Add theses “Asian Tacos” to your menu plans. Cooking ground beef or turkey in a tablespoon of olive oil, garlic, ginger, green onions, water chestnuts, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, red chili paste and salt to taste.
- Lettuce sauce can be made from lighter greens that blend well without grit. Grilled chicken or fish with this sauce are bright and green making the meal new and exciting the palette. Even steamed or grilled vegetables can be dressed for a special evening dinner with this simple blend the greens and season to taste idea.
- Use them in sautes and stir fry, using kale, arugula, spinach, Swiss and regular chard. You may even have an abundance of green onions that could be used to spice this up a bit with garlic and a good flavored olive oil. Throw in a few peppers and if you like some sliced carrots from your CSA bounty.
- Cabbage, mustard greens, turnip greens, kale or chard that is starting to wilt a little around the edges can be cleaned up, julienned very fine adding vinaigrette or making a slaw with your own dressing using some citrus juice, a bit of honey, and a bit of water adjusting the amounts to taste.
- For those who have a juicer, create a healthy green juice. If you’re not a big fan, try adding apples and some leftover wasabi to spice it up. Even if you only have a blender, you can make a smoothie using the same ingredients. Very Refreshing!